Who we are:
Community Impact Newspaper (CI) is Texas’s fastest-growing news organization and the most distributed news source for relevant and useful information at the local level. Our award-winning newspaper now has 22 hyperlocal newspapers and reaches more than 1.7 million Texans.
We hold firmly to the belief that we are here to accomplish something great. We are driven to deliver the best to our readers, our advertisers and to each other. We define excellence as our minimum standard, and we achieve success by looking beyond traditional practices. We are uncompromising in our ethics and values.
We believe work is not a place, but rather a thing you do. Our rapidly growing product revolves around our core mission: to build communities of informed citizens and thriving businesses through the collaboration of a passionate team.
Working here can be a life-changing experience. We work hard and play hard - it’s intense, challenging and exhilarating. And that is exactly what makes being an Impacter so much fun!
The Reporter works hard every day to relay the news that residents need and want to know about. The reporter covers City Council meetings and also writes about business, transportation, health care, events and more. Stories are published in our award-winning monthly, full-color publication and on our website, recently named the best non-daily news website in the country by the National Newspaper Association.
This position requires the ability to juggle multiple print and online deadlines, so multitasking capability is a must. We're looking for someone who has an understanding of the way city government functions. It is essential to be motivated, trustworthy and levelheaded under pressure to be successful in this position.
- Generate original story ideas and present them at internal planning meetings
- Investigate, analyze, and interpret newsworthy events taking place within and outside the assigned community to produce and write original, engaging, and content-appropriate news stories, including features and web stories
- Contribute ideas for graphics and sidebars for each story
- Develop, maintain, and grow network of news sources and community contacts
- Maintain accurate source and contact records that are easily accessible by team members
- Research and maintain awareness of current and future business development, by attending city council meetings, school board meetings, commissioners court meetings, and other community events to ensure a steady flow of news
- Interview news sources in person (occasionally from the desk) and from a variety of perspectives to ensure accurate reporting
- Commit to the highest level of accuracy and complete all writing within established deadlines
- Provide oversight and leadership to interns
- Exercise independent discretion and judgment in how and where to promote the company to readers, community leaders, news sources, and the general public
- Represent the company in a positive and professional manner at networking events and other external functions
- Must be able to drive and provide own transportation and motorist insurance
- Assist in other duties as instructed or required
- Must be punctual and maintain an acceptable attendance record
- Must adhere to company policies and procedures
The Right Fit:
- Bachelors degree in journalism or related field
- 1 year prior experience with other print publication(s)
- Hard news experience, especially in covering governmental bodies
- Experience with photography a plus
Bonus points for...
- Shoot photographs for stories as needed
- Contribute stories and editorial knowledge to special publications such as Connected and Healthcare Directory
- Check art/text consistency for assigned projects
- Maintain a professional appearance
- Comply with other job-related instructions and perform any other duties that, in the opinion of the Editor, General Manager or any other supervisor(s), are reasonably related to his/her primary job responsibilities, required to assist other employees, or complement Community Impact Newspaper's efforts generally
To learn more about the positions and to apply online, please visit our careers page.