The Texas Jewish Post, a weekly in continuous publication since 1947, is the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex’s trusted source for news affecting the Jewish community. Located at the border of Far North Dallas and Richardson, the office is close to Central Expressway and an easy drive from most suburbs and downtown.
The TJP has an immediate opening for a full-time copy editor/page designer. This position is ideal for copy editors looking to move out of the late evening/weekend shift into a regular 9-5 career; recent college grads with a broad skill set who are eager to compile diverse clips; or the more seasoned designer who enjoys creative freedom.
The ideal candidate should be versatile and energetic; have journalism experience; is comfortable working in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator; can juggle multiple tasks and deadlines; and is familiar with content management systems, particularly Wordpress. Must be well versed in The Associated Press style and have a sharp eye for catching mistakes. We will consider any candidates, including recent college graduates, who are passionate about community news, editing and design.
Writers who want to grow their portfolio will also have the chance to cover events as the schedule allows.
• Design weekly edition
• Design annual TJP Guide to Jewish Life
• Upload content to website and social media
• Build ads as needed
• Execute companywide design format, standards and style guide for Weekly Edition
• Work with editorial news team to creatively present stories and data
• Generate graphics, images and layout to drive reader engagement
• Design special sections and collateral materials
• Collecting information for calendar, answering phones, greeting guests and other tasks as assigned.
Other skills desired:
• Page design: Familiar with an InCopy-based workflow
• Editing: Basic abilities in Photoshop
• Publishing: Basic understanding of Adobe Acrobat, PDFs and how to fix color issues
• Web: Must understand basic principles of websites (uploading, changing text formats, SEO) and social media
The TJP offers generous medical, vision and dental benefits, as well as flexible working conditions.
Send resume, cover letter and samples of your design work to Sharon Wisch-Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 17.