John Crawford, 106th president, started in newspapers in February 1952 when he graduated from East Texas State University and worked a short stint as reporter-photographer for the Vernon Daily Record.
While still in college, Crawford married Mary Roach. They had two children.
Crawford moved to The Denison Herald. In 1965 he became editor of the Garland Daily News but in 1966 returned to The Denison Herald as city editor, becoming editor in the fall 1972.
In the fall 1982 the Crawfords acquired a half interest in the Wood County Democrat.
He was president of North and East Texas Press Association in 1976-77. Mary Crawford served as secretary of NETPA from 1980-83.
He taught a beginning journalism course as an adjunct professor at Austin College in Sherman in 1981.
He received the Sam C. Holloway award from NETPA in 1981.