W.L. Hall became a member of the Texas Press Association at the second annual convention, at Houston in 1881. He was elected the fourth president of the association in 1884.
Hall was listed as editor of the Dallas Daily Commercial in the 1877 edition of Pettengill's Newspaper Directory. The newspaper billed itself as daily (circulation 800) and weekly (circulation 900) with the "largest circulation of any paper in North Texas and with extensive circulation in other states."
Hall was one of the founders of the Dallas Herald, which he edited for many years. When the Herald was purchased by the Dallas News on Dec. 3, 1885, Hall retired from newspaper work and became general attorney for the Texas and Pacific Railway Co., a position he held until his death at age 67 in Wichita Falls, 1914.