1900-01 E.W. Harris Greenville Herald

pastprezlogo

ewharris1900_01

Born at Henderson Dec. 17, 1861, E.W. Harris, 22nd president, was the oldest of four brothers, all printers. At age 16 he entered the Henderson Times as a printer’s devil and remained there until January 1881 when he and O.W. Dodson purchased the East Texas Beacon, renaming it the Rusk County News.

In 1882 he sold his interest to Dodson and moved to Greenville, purchasing the Greenville Banner from Charley Mitchell. He soon sold the Banner back to Mitchell and purchased the Greenville Herald.

He changed the Herald from an afternoon paper to a morning paper in 1891. He continued to own and edit the Herald until his death on Jan. 4, 1912.

He represented his district in the state Senate four years. He joined Texas Press Association in 1882.