The Bay City Tribune @ Bay City

The Tribune, in Matagorda County began as a weekly in 1845. It moved from Matagorda to Bay City with the change of county seat. The first copy of The Daily Tribune was issued Nov. 16, 1903, for one week during a rice carnival then converted back to a weekly until June 1904 when the community insisted on having a daily. The weekly and daily were published until 1959 and then the weekly was dropped. In 1919 Carey Smith Sr. bought the paper and owned it until his death in 1937. His son, Carey Smith Jr., was editor until May 1958 when Bay City Tribune Inc. and Southern Newspapers Inc., with Glenn J. Sedam as president, bought it. Sedam became editor and publisher and was Texas Press Association president from 1974-75. In 2002 the newspaper converted to a semiweekly and continues to be operated by Southern Newspapers. Founded: 1845
Phys_addr:
2901 Carey Smith Blvd.  
Po_addr:
PO Box 2450
Phys_city_st_zip:
Bay City, TX 77414  
Po_city_st_zip:
Bay City, TX 77404-2450
   
 
Tpa_member:
Yes  
Texscan:
Yes
Phone_v:
979-245-5555  
Phone_fax:
979-244-5908
   
 
Email:
angie.pagel@baycitytribune.com  
Web_addr:
http://baycitytribune.com
   
 
Publisher:
Angie Pagel  
County_name:
Matagorda
Editor:
Shelly Story  
City_pop:
17614
Ad_director:
Angie Pagel  
County_pop:
36702
   
 
Pub_days:
Sun. & Wed.  
Circulation:
3793
Page_size:
6x21  
 
Col_width:
1.833  
Sen_dist:
18
   
Con_dist:
27
In_county:
$52.00  
St_rep_dist:
25
Out_of_county:
$119.40  
 
Wkday_price:
$1.00  
County_seat:
Yes
Sun_price:
$1.00