Back

Rains County Leader @ Emory

The first newspaper in Rains County began on June 10, 1887 by H.W. Martin and was named The Argus. The Argus changed ands and was renamed The Record. Later the newspaper was sold to A.S. Hornbeck and renamed the Rains County Leader. In 1901 the paper was sold to J.H Bradford, a school teacher. In 1898, Tom W. Hill Sr. hired on at the Leader as a printer's devil. He purchased the paper in 1904 and remained editor and publisher until his death in 1937. The paper has remained in the Hill family since that time. Tom's son, Earl Clyde “Hoots” Hill Sr., took over the reins and continued as editor and publisher until his death in 1960 when his sister, Kathleen “Kat” Hill Becknell, became editor and publisher. Upon Kat's death in December 1995, Earl Hill Jr. became the third generation to own and publish the Leader. He remains in that position today. His son, Earl Trey Hill III is the editor and fourth generation to work at the paper. The Rains County Leader is the oldest continuous business in Rains County. Founded: 1887
Phys_addr:
239 N. Texas St.  
Po_addr:
PO Box 127
Phys_city_st_zip:
Emory, TX 75440  
Po_city_st_zip:
Emory, TX 75440-0127
   
 
Tpa_member:
Yes  
Texscan:
Phone_v:
903-473-2653  
Phone_fax:
903-473-0050
   
 
Email:
rainsleader@earthlink.net  
Web_addr:
http://rainscountyleader.com
   
 
Publisher:
Earl Hill Jr.  
County_name:
Rains
Editor:
Trey Hill  
City_pop:
1239
Ad_director:
Kay Thompson  
County_pop:
10914
   
 
Pub_days:
Tuesday  
Circulation:
1198
Page_size:
6x21  
 
Col_width:
1.833  
Sen_dist:
2
   
Con_dist:
4
In_county:
$25.00  
St_rep_dist:
5
Out_of_county:
$35.00  
 
Wkday_price:
$0.75  
County_seat:
Yes
Sun_price: