Back

The Progress @ Anahuac

The Progress was founded on March 27, 1908, using the slogan, The Only Newspaper Published in Chambers County. Its first editor and manager was Harry B. Weimer who moved the equipment of the Galveston Labor Journal to Anahuac on the boat, Friends, owned by Captain John Kilgore, in 1908. A stock company was formed and 20 shares of $100 per value were issued. The Progress Printing Company Inc., owned by the J.W. Sharp Estate, published the paper in 1938. Trinity Publishing Company Inc. purchased The Progress on May 31, 1945, from Shelton A. and Virginia C. Vaughan. Officers of Trinity Publishing Co. Inc. were J.H. Manthey Jr., president; Price Daniel, chairman of the board; and J.C. Smyth (Texas Press Association president 1958-59), editor-manager. On May 1, 1967, Trinity Publishing Co. Inc., was purchased by Trinity Publishers Inc., with Price Daniel as president; Fred Hartman as chairman of the board; Ernie Zieschang, editor and publisher; Price Daniel Jr., vice president; and Bill Hartman, secretary treasurer. Hartman Newspapers in Rosenberg sold The Progress to Granite Publications in April 2006. Founded: 1901
Phys_addr:
306 Willcox Street  
Po_addr:
PO Box 100
Phys_city_st_zip:
Anahuac, TX 77514  
Po_city_st_zip:
Anahuac, TX 77514-0100
   
 
Tpa_member:
Yes  
Texscan:
Yes
Phone_v:
409-267-6131  
Phone_fax:
409-267-4157
   
 
Email:
theprogress@theanahuacprogress.com  
Web_addr:
http://theanahuacprogress.com
   
 
Publisher:
Dayna Haynes  
County_name:
Chambers
Editor:
Dayna Haynes  
City_pop:
2243
Ad_director:
Dayna Haynes  
County_pop:
35096
   
 
Pub_days:
Wednesday  
Circulation:
999
Page_size:
6x20.5  
 
Col_width:
1.69  
Sen_dist:
4
   
Con_dist:
36
In_county:
35.00  
St_rep_dist:
23
Out_of_county:
40.00  
 
Wkday_price:
$0.75  
County_seat:
Yes
Sun_price: