John Taylor already was publisher of the Seguin Gazette for 21 years when he became Texas Press Association’s 98th president.
During that time, he expanded The Gazette into the Trans-Texas Publishing Company, the first central printing plant south of the Dallas area.
Taylor entered the U.S. Marines to serve during World War II.
He attended Southwest Texas University and earned a journalism degree. He was the San Marcos correspondent for the San Antonio Light and after graduation he went to work full time.
In 1954 he bought The Gazette. Taylor was president of South Texas Press Association in 1963-64 and Texas Gulf Coast Press Association in 1973-74.
As vice chairman of the association’s building committee, Taylor assisted in the search for property that later became TPA’s permanent building.
Taylor and wife, Juanita, have six children.