W.A. Smith, 47th president, was born in Ohio County, Ky., Dec. 12, 1873, and came to Texas in 1874. He began as a schoolteacher and served six years as a county judge of San Saba County.
After public service, he chose the newspaper business and in 1908 purchased the San Saba Star. He held a captain’s commission from training camp, bestowed during the war.
He joined Texas Press Association in 1912 and was elected president in 1925. He was known as “Billy Smith” among his press peers.